Justice Umokoro is in the middle.
. Police arrest 3 suspects
ELIZABETH VINCENT, Yenagoa
After 12 days in captivity, Rt. Hon. Justice E.G. Umokoro of the Bayelsa State High Court has regained his freedom.
He was released unharmed from the kidnappers’ den on Thursday without the payment of any ransom.
The kidnappers had initially demanded a ransom equivalent to ₦300 million in foreign currency last Saturday; however, his release was secured following days of intense joint tactical operations led by the Commander of Operation Puff Adder, CSP Chris Nwaogbo.
Sources revealed that some of the suspects involved in the abduction were traced to Ekeremor, the hometown of the judge, Security reports suggest that some of Justice Umokoro’s relatives contacted the families of the suspected kidnappers and issued stern warnings, threatening serious consequences if the judge was not released immediately.
On Thursday night, State Director of the Department of State Services (DSS), Oluwatosin Adeola Ajayi, and the State Commissioner of Police, Francis Idu, officially announced that the judge had been rescued unharmed and without ransom.
Speaking after his release, a visibly exhausted Justice Umokoro expressed deep gratitude to everyone who participated in the efforts to secure his freedom.
He described his ordeal in captivity as confusing and traumatic.
“I was completely disoriented in the kidnappers’ den. I couldn’t come to terms with the fact that I was kidnapped, kept in the forest, and exposed to the cold, I thank God I came out alive, It will remain an unforgettable experience, I’m grateful I didn’t fall critically ill I prayed every day, and I promised to testify to God’s goodness if I came out alive”, he said.
At the DSS headquarters, the President of the Customary Court of Appeal, Hon Justice Daniel Ayah, commended the collaborative efforts of the security agencies, the judiciary and the state government in ensuring the judge’s safe return.
He disclosed that three suspects had been arrested, and three others have been identified but remain at large.
Commissioner of Police Francis Idu reaffirmed that the rescue was a result of the united efforts of all security agencies in the state.
Barr. Clement Kekemeke, chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) in Bayelsa, praised the judiciary and members of the Bar for their calm and coordinated response during the crisis.
“We embarked on a court boycott and downed tools in protest”, Kekemeke stated, adding that “everyone played their role, this incident shows that during difficult times, we must remain united”.
A senior police source confirmed that four key suspects have been identified in connection with the kidnapping.
Commissioner for Information, Hon. Ebiuwou Koku-Obiyai, expressed joy over the safe return of the judge.
She said his release vindicates the state’s security efforts and reaffirms Bayelsa as a relatively safe state.
“Despite propaganda aimed at discrediting the state’s investment in security, this successful operation proves the effectiveness of our strategies.
“Security agencies rose to the occasion and worked harmoniously with the state government to achieve this outcome”, she stated.
For a better society
Follow us across our platforms:
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/championnewsonline/
Facebook – https://web.facebook.com/championnewsonline
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/champion-newspapers-limited/
https://x.com/championnewsng/
You can also like and comment on our YouTube videos.
https://youtu.be/QIBfD1tT80w?si=R4Qf3so2LxYu3GC2
The post After 12 days in captivity, kidnapped Bayelsa High Court judge regains freedom appeared first on Champion Newspapers LTD.
